A Systematic Review of Digital Leisure in Iran

Reviewers

Authors

1 Department of Physical Education, Sport Management Faculty, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar, Iran

2 Department of Physical Education, Sport Management Faculty, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar, Iran.

Abstract

This descriptive research was conducted using the systematic review method to investigate the position of digital leisure in Iran. The statistical population of this study consisted of all the theses, dissertations, and articles published in Iran.  After searching, screening, and the qualitative evaluation of the research studies, 283 research were selected for the study. A researcher-developed data collection form was used to review the studies. The results indicate that the process of the production and publication of research studies in the area of digital leisure goes back to 2001, and it has been in progress since then. 84% of these research studies were conducted in the 2010s. The geographical distribution of these studies includes 25 provinces across Iran. 66% were journal articles and the remaining 34% were in the form of theses. 77% of the research studies adopted the quantitative approach, while 23% were qualitative and mixed-method studies. The analysis and the interpretation of the findings showed that a large body of theoretical literature and the main concepts used in the research emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of digital leisure and its special application in sports, education, culture, social sciences, economy, entertainment, and psychology. As a result, all three groups of managers, producers, and researchers must approach this area more than ever before from an applied perspective for the proper utilization of the cultural, economic, educational, and athletic aspects of digital leisure. 

Keywords